Myfitnesspal

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Holiday Challenge Day 10

Yet another cloudy and rainy day here in Massachusetts, and it led to a great siesta in the afternoon. Luckily I got a really awesome spin and strength in this evening before all our night events at Newman. I'm getting stronger and stronger!

Today, as I got caught in rain traffic on the way back from my counseling session, I reflected on the need to slow down and breathe amidst all the stress. I was powerless over the conditions, the other drivers, the red lights, the fact that I would be a few minutes late. It actually made for a good homily and for a good tip during our challenge. Stress is stressful...that's a tautology. But our reaction to stress can be a whole host of things. 

Negatively:
flight, anger, isolation, anxiety, short temper, overeating, drinking, other addictive behaviors

Positively: the serenity prayer, breathing, meditation, relaxation music, a phrase like "I am powerless over this," or, "this is just where I am, this too will pass."

We can choose how we act if we recognize the moment of the stress. 

Serenity prayer:

No comments:

Post a Comment