Myfitnesspal

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Events in Recovery

The past few days have been filled with some significant events that have helped bring light to the journey of recovery I've been on, and have inspired others to start their own.

On Tuesday I was asked by the coordinator for the Men's Conference for the Diocese of Portland, Maine, if I would be the opening speaker for this year's conference. I await final details, but it looks like this October I could be taking the stage alongside the keynote speaker. This is certainly very exciting news!

On Thursday I had a "homecoming" at St Mary's Parish High School in Westfield. I was asked by the staff to deliver my recovery story to the students in an assembly during the last period of the day. Seeing the faces of the teens that had just begun their time at STM when I was in the midst of addiction and weight gain, and seeing them shocked at my new appearance and attentive to the message was so affirming to me. As I told them it was part of my 9th step in the 12 Steps to come and give back my story of recovery, I felt a sense of peace where there had been anxiety. Thank you very much to the staff. I count you all as great friends. 

Also Thursday night I taped the Chalice of Salvation Palm Sunday Mass with members of my parish. My friends at Catholic Communications were welcoming, as always, and helped to navigate what is truly a hectic Liturgy. 

Tonight on Real to Reel, the Pioneer Valley got to see my weight loss journey brought to their television sets, as they chronicled my Guest House time and my training for the Holyoke St Pat's Road Race. Thanks to all for their kind words of encouragement. I am inspired when you are inspired to begin your own journeys and make your own goals. What's next? I can't count out a triathlon or a half marathon in the next year! 


I truly live this journey one day at a time. Amidst all the stresses life throws at us, and during one of the most busy times of the year for priests, I have to constantly turn this recovery over to the care of God. I know that his will is being accomplished when I am turning to him for help. In that knowledge, may the good Lord, who died for our salvation, bring you to the joy of the Resurrection this Holy Week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment