Myfitnesspal

Monday, January 19, 2015

Gyms

A friend of mine, both a personal trainer and a priest who made the first part of the journey with me, recently encouraged me to stick through my resentments at my current gym and keep going. For now, I think that is what I will do. It certainly has been occupying my mind a lot, and it is something I must let go. 

Another personal trainer friend just managed a deal to start his first gym, which is very exciting. I wish him the best, and can only hope that he will make the client experience his number one priority. Gyms are businesses, but they exist to help people reach their fitness goals, not take their money and watch them fail. 

This friend recently asked me:  
So what advice would you give my clients as far as how to not eat the stuff they're not supposed to? Remove from the house, lock it up (I use kitchen safe) , or moderation or some other method?

I responded with a not so simple answer (because it's all about a different relationship with food!):

I'd say that for the majority of people who aren't real food addicts, their will power will be able to follow these simple ideas, especially if they are committed to their goals at the gym.

1. Rather than obsessing over the particulars of a diet, obsess over knowing what you're eating. At the end of the day weight loss or maintenance is all about calories in/calories out. Start tracking your food with an app like myfitnesspal. 
Logging your food will help you to realize the impact of your food choices, and help you make better ones throughout the day.

2. If certain foods are "problem" foods, that is, foods that you cannot control once you start eating them, then definitely out of sight out of mind. Get rid of them if needed. Don't have them in the house. Always log them if you do eat them. Search for a healthy alternative (eat this not that)

3. Develop a list of healthier snacks that give you more bang for your calorie buck. Low cal Greek yogurt or a cheese stick work wonders.

4. Learn the difference between what is a simple craving and what is truly hunger. Practice hunger tolerance by skipping either lunch or dinner, if you are able to health wise. If you are able to skip a whole meal, you can tell yourself that you are able to skip what you crave.

5. Your body doesn't recognize that it is full until 15 minutes after you stop eating. If you feel full while you are eating, you've already eaten too much. 

Hope these tips help!

***added note***
Food deprivation or fasting is only a teaching tool and not meant to be part of a regular diet. Please speak with your nutritionist to set up a food plan that will work for you. 


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete