Myfitnesspal

Saturday, January 23, 2016

End of Holiday Challenge Report, and March for Life

The Hello, all! I realize that I never checked in on the result of the holiday challenge, which, I know, tapered off with some challenges in ministry. During the period of mid November to January 8th, I lost a total of 5lbs, which was 4lbs less than the goal, but still an amazing triumph over a different holiday schedule in a new assignment. I have endured a lot of personal change which has taken its toll emotionally, but I am so thankful that God saw me through things and kept me on track for maintainence and a little bit of weight loss. 

A week and a half ago I received some of the best news of this journey. I was approved by a plastic surgeon for an excess skin removal surgery! We have a goal of two surgeries, the first being a full abdominal lift around to the back, and a chest reconstruction. The second, at a later date, would address the legs and arms. I can't tell you how much an improvement this would be for my life, to feel comfortable in my own skin, to not have the worries in workouts, to not feels he excess weight which drags me down physically and emotionally, and to not have to worry about certain hygiene concerns. 

Unfortunately the surgery comes at a cost which insurance most likely will not cover. I am in the process of figuring out what they will cover, but it won't be an easy process. I opened a gofundme which I originally put out to friends and family on Facebook, not realizing the public impact it would have. Some found this request scandalous and troublesome, sighting concerns that priests would use their public platform for personal reasons, or even accusing me of vanity and narcissism. I can understand public perception. I will definitely, at the request of my Bishop, seek to always promote Christ, and keep in mind the concerns of my brother priests and struggling Diocese. After some tough conversations, I can't express the thanks I have for the people out there who have been my constant support and encouragement. 

That is why I am so passionate about this journey. I know I will face ridicule. But I know the huge amount of support from the people. I travelled down with a group of students to the March for Life in Washington yesterday. Arriving at the Mass at the Verizon Center, I met friends who hadn't seen me since the days of Steubenville or Seminary. I was so edified by their response. They were shocked at the new me, but they were inspired that something can be done to improve their own lives.  

I looked around the stadium seating, and watched heavy priest after heavy priest arrive to concelebrate. I looked and saw where I was years ago: zealous for the innocent life that has been lost by abortion, but not caring about my own life, which God desires to give to us in abundance. I get the kind of commitment that calls us priests on to a life of radical service. But I was amongst some of the perception in the crowd: why is it that we are ok with an obese clergy? Here we are dedicated to helping pregnant women who need help to deal with financial, emotional, and social oppression forcing them to make the hardest decisions in their life. Can we not look around the room and see men who have given their all to the Church, and yet are dealing with similar pressures from the Church and their eating addictions? 
#istand4life

I love my vocation, and I love my vocation even more now that God has brought me through this journey of recovery. I am not finished yet, as we are all on our road of spiritual perfection. I will not stop the call for the Church to realize that we need to do something for our priests. We can't just assume that crisis in our priests' lives is over. I hope one day to create a forum, to advocate for greater awareness of food addiction, and to support my brother priests in whatever way I can.  Being fit for ministry requires us to be ok with our priests being fit. Let's not put them down for desiring it. 

3 comments:

  1. Remember that you are unique in this universe.Because your side giving us information.Cutting calories through dietary changes seems to promote weight loss more effectively than does exercise and physical activity. But physical activity also is important in Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk through. I appreciate this post.organika garcinia plus

    ReplyDelete