Myfitnesspal

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Back blogging, and Holiday Challenge Announcement

Hi folks! It's been an interesting transition to the Newman Center at UMass. I hit some rough patches establishing a new routine, and struggled lately in maintaining things. I was recently blessed to take a small retreat at Guest House in Lake Orion, where I finished the continuing care program, and reinvigorated my efforts to treat my food addiction, as well as worked out with an awesome trainer friend. I am happy to report that my weight is back on track and I am motivated to take on the holidays! 

Some exciting things to report: 

Together with some Newman Community members that started a good initiative last year, we are developing a marketing strategy and healthy choices menu for the Newman Cafe. The efforts are slow, but coming together. Changing culture is hard, but it is necessary in this atmosphere where most students are used to healthy options on campus. 

Moving to Amherst has been a blessing during the fall season. I called up a friend who hiked Monadnock with me in September and we tackled the Seven Sisters trail, a 6 mile hike through the mountains surrounding Amherst and Hadley. 

It was an early morning sunrise spectacular, coupled with amazing foliage viewing and semi challenging climbs. This trail just kept going and going and going. Happy to say that I've done it! 


I recently joined the energia and 50/50 fitness studios on route 9 in Hadley. Justin and Katie have been so gracious in their welcome to this energetic spin community.

 I am happy to make some new friends, and learn some different styles of training. I got my butt kicked at a trx tabata class, and keep focused on increasing my watt hours for the generated energy on the spin bikes. 

Having a gym that I am motivated to attend has been a key factor in restoring my sanity over the last month.


I was truly humbled and thankful recently when my la fitness trainer and friends took me out to lunch after spin class there. I am so happy to keep in contact with this community, and grateful for our friendship.

Today I am announcing my commitment to the Holiday Challenge. I want to be inclusive in the title, since I know there are people who struggle with weight on either ends of the spectrum. This challenge will be geared towards my personal goals, but will include tips for avoiding cravings, or making healthier choices during the holiday season. I will formally begin this challenge this upcoming Monday. 


I want to extend my prayers towards all those recently affected by terrorism throughout the world. These recent events put things into perspective, especially the need to focus on spiritual health. The twelve steps offer us hope when we are powerless over events like these. We can believe that a power greater than ourselves can restore the world to sanity. We can turn our lives over to God's care, as we understand God. And in this, let us also recognize  that as God cares for us, so too should we care for others. 

2 comments:

  1. You have shared here many useful information here with us. Really like the blog you have posted got many thing to know. Thanks and keep updating more with us.

    ReplyDelete