Myfitnesspal

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Abstinence Only!

Did the title grab your attention? In food addiction circles abstinence is not refraining from eating (one must eat to live) but refraining from compulsive eating behaviors and binge foods (not living to eat). 

I recently got to travel with my best friend to visit friends and do a wedding of a college friend. I broke my abstinence. It's the first time since December 31st that I have not tracked my food, gave into overeating, and ate a lot of what are some of my binge foods. It wasn't worth it. I gave into justification: it was a party, I was with friends, I can get right back on track!!! Working out with my trainer the other day really helped me face the music. I gained 5 lbs over the past two weeks.

But facing this reality with my trainer and my support network, I am able to move on. I'm back in the gym, back tracking my food, regaining from eating junk food and drinking caloric beverages. I've already lost one of those pounds. 

Abstinence as defined above is the only way to go. Once you give in it spirals pretty quickly. It's so easy to keep putting off the date to get back on track. This is why having a sponsor, having people to call, and having to show up at a certain time at a gym is so important. Even this blog is helping me to keep accountable. I can't go back to where I was. Abstinence only! 

No comments:

Post a Comment