Myfitnesspal

Friday, September 19, 2014

Dropping the Rock

On my trip to Guest House it was impressed upon us that the 6th and 7th steps are really important milestones of recovery that we should be accomplishing about 6 months outside of treatment. 

Step 6: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
Step 7: Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

For me, I've been stuck on these steps for months. I have so many resentments that I harbor. Yes, I can bring them to confession, yes I can talk about them with people that I trust. But it is so hard psychologically to let go of the weight of what others have done to you when they themselves are in no position to make amends or deal with their own character defects. 

The image was given to us of a swimmer coming to shore, but this swimmer is carrying a gigantic rock. This rock symbolizes all the character defects and resentments one is carrying. Because of the weight it is nearly impossible for the swimmer to swim to shore. In fact the swimmer is exhausted and might even start to sink. The thing is, intuitively the swimmer knows the right thing to do is let go of it, but he or she just keeps holding on, is if it's a life preserver. All the swimmer needs to do is drop the rock. 

Of course, steps 6 and 7 involve a power greater than ourselves which can help us to do that. At the end of the day, I can run to the cross for my strength. I need to becoming willing to let God do what I cannot do for myself. Maybe I can't drop these resentments on my own. God, help me drop the rock! 

No comments:

Post a Comment