Myfitnesspal

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Romans 14:17

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of food and drink, but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. -Romans 14:17

This week there has certainly been a lot to be joyful about. Our new Bishop, Mitchell Rosanski, was installed as the 9th Bishop of Springfield. The Cathedral was filled with so much enthusiasm, thanksgiving, and hope that the future of our Diocese will be carefully and prudently guided by the warm figure of our new shepherd. Bishop Mitchell is definitely a welcome addition to our Diocese, and a very pleasant man to meet. I have met him now on three occasions, and each encounter has shown him to be kind and approachable. I thank Bishop Timothy for his many kindnesses to me since I have returned to Guest House, especially for his acknowledgment of my accomplishments and the care with which he notices my continued progress. I wish him the best in retirement, and pray for him good health and many years as Bishop emeritus in our Diocese. 

The Scripture passage quoted above also is a sobering reminder that the work I do to keep my body, mind, and soul healthy is always at the service of a greater good, that of the kingdom. If it were simply the case that I am on this journey for myself, there wouldn't be a need to even write this blog. If it were about the food or the drink, if it were simply about telling you what to eat or what to avoid, I would get lost amongst all the other diet and calories club websites and blogs out there. And I'm no expert in this, I still struggle! But, the truth of the matter is that the end goal of this is not perfect bodily health for my own sake or for yours, it is the fact that my present endeavors are meant to sustain a lifetime of service to God's Church for the sake of the Kingdom of God. 

The simple truth is that in serving my higher power, I hope to be filled with righteousness, peace, and the joy of the Holy Spirit, and that, through this witness, many others will come to know the same blessings in their lives. They are something that food or drink can never give....well, unless we are talking about the Holy Eucharist!

1 comment:

  1. Fr. Ryan, truly a man of God, we pray for a long and healthy life for you. HE will see you through. Pax et Bonum, Denise & Ron

    ReplyDelete